Salary: £35,000 +
About the role:
As a Senior Product Designer you will be joining a cross functional team to take responsibility for the design and specification of complex medical product, particularly in the earlier development phases. This creative design role requires you to invent, design and develop ideas and concepts for finished products. This includes a clear understanding how the technical functions and features will be achieved. Demonstrating that the products perform well and meet the required standards will be a key part of your day-to-day activities.
Area of Accountability:
- Research - technologies, materials and processes that can be incorporated into our products. Innovation needs to be a key focus.
- Design – products that deliver the learning objectives effectively and on budget (time & costs).
- Development – build and test ideas, continuously looking for opportunities for functional or process improvements and cost reductions.
- Communication – effective and precise.
- Relationships – build strong links with projects stakeholders.
- Project Management – define the most effective process route that will deliver the project on time and on budget.
- Manage project resources (people, lead times, materials etc.) effectively.
- Linking the functional requirements to the product specification.
- Optimization of anatomical features in relation to production materials and their processes.
- Expert translation of the training requirements and how these are best met by the products design features.
- Effective project planning and resource management.
- Communication with customers during prototype evaluations – These events must provide clear indications of product performance.
- Successful well-designed prototypes that meet the product specification and deliver the learning objectives.
- Well managed projects with supporting documentation that can be passed on to our design engineering team for continued development.
- Good communication with NPD stakeholders, other departments and external medical advisors/customers.
- Continued support of those involved in subsequent stages of development, resulting in a commercially successful product.
- Acknowledged for providing of good advice and support throughout company.
- Effective and prompt resolution of issues, should they arise.
KEY TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Proven commercial experience of innovative product design/development and project management. Must provide evidence via portfolio from the last 24 months.
- Ability to solve complex design problems and prove they are robust and effective.
- Strong communication of design concepts/solutions through hand sketches/drawings and 3D mock-ups.
- Understanding of anatomy and physiology would be an advantage.
- Strong CAD Skills, ideally Solidworks
- Proven ability to deliver projects on time and to spec.
- Ability to build prototypes for evaluation and life testing.
- Basic engineering skills – turning, milling, drilling etc.
Knowledge / Experience
- Excellent understanding of polymer materials – silicone rubber, PU, injection moulded plastic etc.
- Excellent understanding of product/industrial design and design engineering principles.
- Good understanding of 3D printing and its applications.
- Good modelmaking and mould-making skills.
- Good verbal and written communication.
A background in bioengineering or medical design/engineering would be considered if supported by relevant work.
Medical knowledge based on medical training and/or experience in medical practice would be a distinct advantage.