Overall Role / Main Function of the job
Planning all aspects of NPD, implementation and product delivery to ensure on time on cost product that meet or exceed the specification as per the brief.
Ensuring consistent high standards of product delivery leading to robust and durable products encompassing the brand values.
Always looking for opportunities to improve our process, designs and products and be the best in everything you do.
Main Duties and Tasks
- Form part of the in-house product development team managing projects with strong focus on reliable, accurate, durable and value for money being visually and technically evident in the design solutions.
- Planning all aspects of product development, implementation, resource and product delivery using the PDCP to create a comprehensive product development schedule.
- Ensuring all stakeholders (internal and external) are consulted and informed throughout the product development process.
- Liaising and communicating with our manufactures and team in China.
- Leading project meetings and ensuring timely delivery of all activities. Weekly reporting as well as design review sign off meetings and gate sign off meetings.
- Other duties, as assigned. Occasional management of on-going product improvements to existing products.
- On-going process improvements that enhance and improve our product development process and implementation
- May be required to travel periodically in UK, Europe, USA and China (10-15% of time)
Other Key Internal Relationships
- Daily contact within our NPD team, marketing, Consumer insight research, Sales team and GDM.
- Regular contact with other departments in the U.S. office, the Group office in the UK, and the other offices around the world (e.g. France and the office in Shanghai).
Required Skills and Experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a project planning and delivery role
- Background in managing mechanical engineering projects with internal teams of engineers as well as liaising with 3rd party Far East suppliers
- Preferably from consumer product background
- Proven understanding of product development process from concept through to production ready design
- Methodical approach with good attention to detail.
- Good team player able to work alongside design, engineering and marketing personnel.
- Good written and verbal skills, capable of presenting to others.
- Must be Fluent with Microsoft Project and Windows based applications
- Chinese language skills would be an advantage
- Some previous experience in using power tools would be helpful.
- Degree in engineering discipline or equivalent level of education
- Personal Traits
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Open minded approach, happy to listen to ideas and inputs from others within the business
- Team player.
- High level of initiative. Ability to work independently and maintain confidentiality.
- Must be able to organize and prioritize own activities and effectively direct others where necessary.
- Flexible and adaptable as this can sometimes be ‘hands on’