This newly created Product Design role will report to the Head of Design and Technical and be responsible for leading the development of new kitchen products and controlling the product life cycle management. As well as designing new door ranges, handles and worktop selection etc, the successful applicant will also compile and analyse market intelligence and produce information on new products for the Technical and Marketing departments. Previous experience of designing product within furniture or kitchen industry is therefore a must.
Key responsibilities of the role include:-
• Design new door ranges, handles, worktop selection etc
• Produce concept designs of new unit types etc
• Produce and supply preliminary drawings and specifications for the Technical Department and external suppliers
• Gather and analyse market intelligence of new materials, processes etc and undertake ongoing competitor reviews, providing reports and recommendations
• Organise sample displays/presentations etc of new products
• Organise consumer market research of proposed new products in conjunction with the Marketing Department
• Conduct preliminary margin analysis of potential new products in conjunction with Purchasing and Commercial Finance departments
• Undertake lifecycle management of products leading to proposed discontinuations and deletions
• Liaise with other departments (Technical, Manufacturing, Purchasing) during the development and new product implementation process.
• Liaise with the Prototype Technician to enable the production of samples and displays of new products
• Liaise with the Marketing Department in providing information for inclusion in the product directories, brochures, and price lists
• Liaise with the Project Design Manager and Marketing Department regarding proposed and actual updates to the in-house showrooms etc.
• Attend furniture and supplier exhibitions (UK and abroad)
• Visit suppliers as required to assess new products, gain information etc
The successful candidate should possess the following skills and attributes: -
• Proven experience as a successful product designer in the kitchen industry
• PC literate – Excel, Word, and PowerPoint to an intermediate standard
• Able to use Autocad Inventor or similar
• Proven creativity and flair – able to produce evidence of own design work
• Commercial awareness
• Knowledge of kitchen manufacturing methods
• Able to work accurately and with attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and use own initiative
• Confident in dealing with people at all levels in the business
• Able to design and confidently deliver presentations
• Full Driving licence without excessive points. Must be willing to travel, including some limited travel to the EU.
Benefits include company bonus scheme, pension, staff discount and free parking