Job title: Principal Health Economist
Who are we looking for:
Due to senior staff planned moves to our clients US office, we are looking for a new senior team member to join our UK team. We are looking for a technical, hands on health economist to develop a small team of health economists to provide services for both global and UK-based clients.
Are you interested in finding a permanent position within an independent, dynamic, academically-oriented, global consultancy environment? If so, our client is offering an exciting opportunity to join our team.
About Our client:
Our client works with pharmaceutical and medical technology companies, helping them to demonstrate the clinical and economic value of their products to governments and healthcare providers. This is mainly done through the development of core market access materials, including reimbursement and value dossiers.
We are one of the largest privately-owned health economic and outcomes research (HEOR) consultancies in the world. To work for, our client is intellectually stimulating, fun and focused on results. With a head office in Sheffield, we employ over 140 people in the UK, India, the US, Ireland and the Netherlands.
We identify ourselves as having a vibrant culture where everyone matters. Many of our employees join us as graduates, and we believe in developing our staff and exposing them to responsibility from an early stage in their careers, enabling rapid progression while maintaining a close support network.
Life in Sheffield:
Our head office is in Sheffield: a city known as much for its universities as for its steel and snooker. But there’s more here than just heavy industry and an annual world championship of potting. Built across seven majestic hills and on the conflux of five rivers, Sheffield has previously been named the UK’s best-value city by TripAdvisor (the average cost of housing per month being nearly 50% lower than in London). In addition, it’s often said Sheffield is the world’s biggest village because it’s so friendly but when it comes to culture, this is big city through and through.
What’s here? There’s the UK’s largest theatre district outside London; Yorkshire’s premier shopping centre, Meadowhall; one of Europe’s largest urban glass gardens; a choice of independent cinemas; an unofficial Chinatown rammed with brilliant restaurants; an antiques quarter stacked with vintage stores; an outdoor amphitheatre overlooking the city; and a range of museums and art galleries peppering every corner and thoroughfare. The Our client offices are in central Sheffield with all local amenities on our doorstep including the Peak District National Park!
You will have full client-facing responsibilities which will include, but not be limited to:
· Line management, training and mentoring of health economists (~6 people based in the Sheffield office)
· Taking the lead role on economic modelling projects, with the opportunity to fulfil a technical expert role within multi-disciplinary projects
· Providing strategic and technical expertise both to clients and internally
· Designing and developing transparent and user-friendly economic models throughout the product life cycle, pre- and post-launch for local and global use
· Performing thorough technical (quality control) and strategic review of internal and external economic models
· Working in partnership with clients to assess, demonstrate and communicate product value
· Developing the economic sections of health technology assessment (HTA) reimbursement dossiers and commissioning dossiers for a variety of global payers including NICE, SMC and NCPE
· Leading evidence gathering to inform value demonstration by:
- Inputting into design of economic systematic reviews to be conducted by our dedicated SLR team located within our India office and application of the learnings into model development
- Specification of analyses of clinical trial data (e.g. survival analysis, quality of life analysis, indirect treatment comparison)
- Performing expert elicitation exercises to inform model parameterisation and to validate model inputs and outputs
· Developing technical reports, user guides and summary slide decks providing interpretation and methodological detail for economic models and providing training to local affiliates on their use
· Providing input into proposal writing and the development of new business opportunities and services
· Developing abstracts and posters for clinical, academic and industry conferences, and manuscripts for peer-reviewed journals
· Formal and informal training of clients and staff in HTA and modelling topics
· Dependent upon your experience additional responsibilities may include:
- New methods development and application
- Statistical analysis of clinical trial or observational data
- Providing economic input to evidence generation activities (clinical trial development and analysis plans / registry searching)
- Acting as an independent expert on advisory boards / in front of reimbursement bodies
- Presenting at international conferences
You will be an experienced health economics professional with enthusiasm, vision and flexibility. You will have:
· At least 3 years’ experience in the hands-on design and construction of economic models from within a consultancy, the pharmaceutical industry or a relevant academic-consulting environment
· Experience line managing and providing training to more junior staff members
· Designed and built at least 5 cost-effectiveness models from concept to conclusion
· Experience of Excel® and VBA (this is our primary modelling platform)
· Experience of quality control, strategic and technical review / critique of economic models
· Excellent English oral and written communication skills and comfort liaising with technical and non-technical clients (both internally and externally)
· Proven ability to explain complex calculations and ideas both verbally and in writing
· Proven ability to manage projects within timelines, budget and scope
· Proven ability to resolve issues and challenges
Experience is required in at least one out of the two areas below:
· Experience developing global models
· Experience developing HTA and reimbursement submissions (particularly for NICE and SMC)
You will have a distinct advantage if you have:
· Experience of programming individual patient simulations or discrete event simulations (preferably in R or VBA)
· Experience of analysis of clinical trial data for use within health economic models, e.g. survival analysis, quality of life analysis, and combinations of RCT and non-RCT data
· Peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations
Compensation and benefits package:
- Competitive salary (dependent on experience) plus company bonus
- 33.5 days paid leave inclusive of bank holidays
- Individually-tailored career development plan and considerable scope in terms of progression opportunities
- Health and wellbeing benefits