Job title: IT and Infrastructure Support Technician
Hours: Core hours between 8am – 6pm
My client is a small vibrant company. A leading provider of online courses for training and in-service teachers. They are looking for an IT and Infrastructure Support Technician to help build and maintain a reliable and scalable IT infrastructure.
The ideal candidate will be ambitious with experience to maintain an existing IT function whilst developing new skills and technologies both for the company and their own professional development.
Successful candidates will be degree educated or equivalent with at least 2 years’ experience in a similar role. You must be equally happy dealing with people as you are troubleshooting complex technology issues. Your primary role will be to facilitate the day to day technology needs of our internal systems and staff with great opportunities to develop skills in communications, video technologies, Google Cloud Platform architecture and much more. You will be expected to self-manage a set of time constrained deliverables with minimal support.
The purpose of this role is to implement, maintain and support a reliable and scalable infrastructure. The successful candidates duties will include:
- Help in maintaining and enhancing our standard computer builds that ensure each employee has the correct level of hardware and software.
- Implement deployment strategies such as remote installation and cloning to support rapid upgrade and replacement policies.
- Ensure managed periodic update of all products particularly operating systems and security patches.
- Take responsibility for the maintenance, support and administration of Office 365 products and Adobe Creative Suite Products.
- Maintenance of our email systems and lead on an email migration project
- Continue the work on building a remotely supported infrastructure using AnyDesk.
- Support all network related issues either locally based or those with wider implications.
- Upgrade and maintain our antivirus policies and software, taking responsibility for the security of our networks.
- Implement a usable policy for browsing and data access that protects our employees whilst continuing to promote the freedom to innovate.
- Help in the implementation of a helpdesk system to support our online learning platform.
- Continue our work in the use of Google Drive Enterprise for data storage, management, backups and security.
- Ensure the availability of external links and internet connections.
- Responsible for all telephone systems.
- Liaison point for all external technology suppliers and providers.
This role will develop to include:
- Working closely with Software Development in building an external infrastructure for our online application
- Support our work in schools installing our classroom observation systems that includes implementation of our own secure infrastructure including cabling, routers and firewalls, mobile communications using LTE Modems.
- Maintenance of hardware and software specific to our recording studios through research and self-training.
- Working with video architecture and streaming techniques using Google Cloud Platform, Release management, Back end architecture including failover and load balancing.
Candidates invited for interview will have:
- At least 2 years experience in a similar role with verifiable exposure to desktop, application and network support
- A degree education or equivalent or relevant technology based alternative qualifications.
- Demonstrable knowledge of network and communications topologies.
- An excellent knowledge of Office 365 and Adobe Creative Suite products and their respective administration interfaces.
- The ability to run with individual projects ensuring the appropriate amount of testing and feedback prior to implementation.
- Prior experience of and demonstrable exposure to some or all of the following:
- Windows 10 Operating system support and maintenance
- Software deployment / upgrade strategies
- Email set up and support
- Centralised calendar systems
- GoogleDrive File System
- TCP IP and Ethernet
- Router / Firewall basic principles
- Helpdesk implementation and configuration
- Antivirus installation and maintenance
- Centralised browsing policies
- Network communications and security
- Automated backup systems
- VOIP telephony
- Video formats and streaming
Any experience with online learning systems and / or video data streaming, encoding and management generally would be an advantage.